Barney & Dickenson Inc was
founded in 1939 by Harry A. Barney and David L. Dickenson; two well-known and respected area businessmen. The company operated for the first 8 years as a sand and gravel operation only; as it had
since the 1920's under the name of Rider Sand Gravel.
Seeing a need for ready-mix concrete in the ever-expanding triple Cities area, Barney & Dickenson in 1947 became the pioneer in Broome County for ready mix. In 1971, the company was sold to Robert F. Schumann and Robert S. Murphy, area businessmen and owners of Bob Murphy Inc.
The current owners are Robert S. Murphy Jr. and
Mary Murphy Harrison. We're certified as a WBE.
In 1986, a second ready-mix plant in Owego was opened to serve the Tioga County area. A third ready-mix plant was added in 2005 in Choconut, PA, to serve the northern part of Pennsylvania.
Portable plants have been set up to supply concrete on site to supply concrete for jobs such as Maines Paper & Food Service, Inc in Conklin, NY; Best Buy Distribution Center in Nichols, NY; CVS Distribution Center in Chemung, NY; and Crown Cork & Seal, Nichols, NY. We're now able to offer concrete pumping services as well, since January 2015.
We're members of the National Ready Mix Association, National Aggregate Association, Associated General Contractors of America, New York Construction Materials Association, Associated Building Contractors, Broome County Chamber of Commerce, Tioga County Chamber of Commerce, and Southern Tier Home Builders Association.